How many people can answer the question, "What do you do for a living?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
Join us and give new meaning to the word, "job."
The individual serving in this position oversees the LLS policy development process in support of advancing LLS’s federal and state advocacy agenda. This agenda includes, among other things, reducing the cost burden that patients encounter when accessing cancer care, maintaining and enforcing patient protections established by the Affordable Care Act, ensuring access to high-quality cancer care among patients regardless of their type of insurance, strengthening and accelerating the process of drug development and approval in the United States, and improving the sustainability of the cancer care system for future patients. To accomplish this work, the Senior Director will partner closely with OPP leadership team colleagues, including the Senior Directors leading the State Affairs, Federal Affairs, and Advocacy components of the OPP team.
Education & Experience Requirements (minimum):
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area of study, e.g. health care administration or public policy
• 8+ years’ experience working in health care policy or advanced degree (preferred) with a minimum of 4 years’ experience
• Sophisticated understanding of the policy issues dominating health care today
• Proven ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written formats
• Experience anticipating public policy trends in the health care sector
• Strong understanding of the current political environment and of policy-making processes at the state and federal level, including both legislative and regulatory processes
• Experience working across multiple functions within an organization to advance team- and enterprise-level goals
• Demonstrated ability to work collaborative and achieve consensus across a matrix environment
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
• Physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations
• Work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations
• Will require occasional travel over the course of the year, including to LLS’s national office in Rye Brook, NY