How many people can answer the question, "What do you do for a living?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
Join us and give new meaning to the word, "job."
The Director of Funding Opportunities will be a seasoned philanthropy professional, highly skilled writer and strategic, conceptual thinker, with a solid background in writing successful, compelling and high-value cultivation and ask materials. The individual will be able to work with highly scientific content, identify the value proposition and distill it into exciting, relatable content that captures the interest and encourages giving. Working as part of a highly integrated team, the individual will also be able to work independently with colleagues across the enterprise to gather information, collaborate on content and develop materials that are highly targeted to each donor, ask and situation. The target audiences will span the breadth of the philanthropy spectrum, including individual, corporate and foundation donors, however, the latter two may be emphasized.
Education & Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, English, Journalism or similar
• 5-7 years working in a writing-based fundraising, product development, or marketing role, preferably in a healthcare/education/foundation environment
• Experience in principal and/or major gifts fundraising
• Advanced expertise in writing, with ability to target messaging to a variety of audiences and product formats
• Expertise in knowledge of principal and major gifts fundraising
• Client-service oriented, with demonstrated expertise in problem-solving
• Self-motivated and skilled at time and work flow management
• Detail-oriented, factually accurate, organized, and dedicated to exceptional quality
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
• Basic knowledge of design programs such as InDesign is a plus but not required
• Self-starter with the ability to manage projects and collaborate with colleagues across the enterprise
• Enthusiastic, self-motivated and committed to excellence
• Capable of balancing multiple priorities effectively
• It is possible that the individual will work remotely, in which case the employee will be held to a high level of independent self-management